American LaFrance Listings
Used American LaFrance Fire Trucks
American LaFrance is a well-known manufacturer of fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. From its service in World War II to its dedication to protecting Americans at home, American LaFrance has remained a staple of the firefighting industry for over 100 years.
At Fenton Fire Equipment, we list used American LaFrance fire trucks so you can purchase a piece of history or add a new addition to your department’s fleet. Fill out our online form to learn how you can purchase or sell fire equipment on our platform.
A Brief History of American LaFrance Fire Trucks
The American LaFrance Fire Engine Company was founded in 1873 by Albert and Alfred LaFrance. The company began making horse-drawn and steam-powered fire engines. In 1907, American LaFrance released its first motorized engine. With factories eventually established in New York, Virginia, Wyoming, Wisconsin, North Carolina and South Carolina, American LaFrance added many notable contributions to the fire truck industry, including V-12 engines and cab-forward chassis.
American LaFrance ceased operation in 2014, but it will always be remembered as one of the biggest influences on today’s fire truck design, along with its high standard of solid performance and quality.
Types of American LaFrance Fire Trucks
The American LaFrance (ALF) fire truck is a wonderful piece of machinery. With classic style, these trucks were built to last. American LaFrance trucks come in a variety of models, including:
- Ladders: With ALF ladder trucks hitting the market in the early 20th century, many fire departments nationwide purchased these models as their first automotive for their fire department.
- Pumpers: American LaFrance’s line of pumpers include the Century Series, which brought about a widened cab that allows firefighters to move around more easily when inside their vehicle.
- Rescue trucks: Packed with gear, ALF rescue trucks have historically been built to withstand the rigors of firefighting.
- Aerial trucks: American LaFrance developed the first hydraulic-operated aerial ladders. This innovation allowed firefighters to climb taller buildings and reach higher windows, increasing their ability to save lives and property.
- Specialty vehicles: From airport crash rescue vehicles to chief cars, American LaFrance has proven itself over and over again as a leader in the industry.
Notable ALF series include:
- 700 Series: With over 3,000 trucks built, the 700 Series remained in production from 1947 until 1958.
- 800 Series: ALF launched this series to reduce manufacturing costs and included many more options for departments to choose from.
- 900 and 1000 Series: From 1958 until 1974, these two series revolutionized fire truck design.
- Century 2000 Series: Manufactured between 1986 and 1994, the Century 2000 series further proved ALF’s focus on firefighter safety while they aid their communities.
Browse American LaFrance Fire Trucks for Sale
With an extensive line of products designed specifically for the needs of fire departments and other emergency response providers, ALF trucks are an excellent choice for anyone interested in history. If you’re looking for a unique piece to add to your collection or want to browse the listings and see what’s available, view the American LaFrance fire trucks for sale at Fenton Fire Equipment today.